Wednesday, June 22, 2011

still

She is almost 100. Her body is frail. Her voice is weak. I helped her to her recliner yesterday. As I turned around to leave, she made a sound that caught my attention. I turned around and she was motioning for something on her table. Several books lay there, each was old and worn. Finally I understood that she was saying the word, "Bible." As I handed her the old, battered, word of God, I realized that there was little chance that she could even see to read the words. But as she opened the book, the expression on her face was unmistakable. Security. Hope. Joy. Peace.

As I left the room I was reminded, once again, that scripture lasts forever. It has no boundaries, no lifespan, no limits.
I was also reminded of the sweetness of an elderly person who continues to seek the Lord. Oh that I would be a person who, at the age of 99, is still reciting passages for memory and using my time to intercede for others.

I was so encouraged by this woman. But unfortunately, she is the only one that I have ever seen in my nursing home that values scripture and reads it on a daily basis.

In my work at the nursing home one of my biggest frustrations is watching these valuable, wise, elderly people sit around in their recliners all day, every day. How many lives could be impacted if these people would use their time to make a difference for the Kingdom? And how many lives would be changed, if we would stop and take the time to sit with these people and listen to their wisdom?

My heart longs to impact this generation and allow and encourage them to transform ours.


If I ever run a nursing home, this verse will be the foundation:

Psalm 92:14-15
They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, "The LORD is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him."

1 comment:

Michaela said...

What an incredible truth. Thanks for the reminder.