Friday, August 05, 2011

Worthiness

When I was little I would watch Arthur on PBS every day at 4:30. Before each show the theme song came on with the words, "It's a simple message, and it comes from the heart, 'believe in yourself' for that's the place to start." The catchy tune was always fun to hear, and I memorized every word... but somehow, those words didn't sit right in my heart.

I've always loved American Girl dolls. I loved the stories, the dresses, and one of my favorite vacations growing up was when I was 10 and we visited the American Girl Place in Chicago. But they had this slogan: "Follow your inner star." Those words didn't sit right in my heart.

I've heard these ideas over and over. "Love yourself." Be an expert in "Self care." Focus on your strengths and positive qualities. These words have never sat right in my heart.

I've always wondered, does the Lord really want me to be enchanted by my own abilities and strengths? Is it Biblical to "Believe in yourself" and "Follow your inner star"?


Last night I stumbled upon a blog post by Jeremy Pierre entitled "The Sin of Insecurity." This quote from his post is the best summary I have ever read concerning this issue.

"Our cultural instructors disapprove of our insecurity because it is an offense to individual worthiness. God disapproves of our insecurity because it is an offense to his Son’s worthiness."

The key is, where are we finding our worth?

No comments: