I've been chewing on James this summer. Memorizing it. Growing through it. Learning to love it.
I let chapter 3 verse 13 roll around in my head while I worked this week-
"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."
I've been trying to figure out why James draws a connection between wisdom and humility here. "Deeds done in humility that comes from wisdom." Why would you need wisdom in order to be humble?
Since the majority of my time has been spent at the nursing home this summer, I've been wondering what a truly humble person would look like in that workplace. I've been realizing that it does take wisdom in order to be a humble servant. There is a balancing act involved in serving. One must balance who to serve, when to serve, and why they are serving. Also, there is a great amount of strength needed in order to serve others, and one must learn to draw that strength from the correct Source.
As I was thinking this through, the quality of meekness came to mind. I once heard a definition of meek that explained it as "Power under control." In the same way that meekness is power under control, I understand humility as: wisdom under control.
So as I see it, a wise servant is one who does not allow his own wisdom and strength to be the source of his abilities, but instead allows the Giver of wisdom and strength to guide his every action.
John Piper puts it this way:
"The kind of service that makes God look valuable and thrilling is the kind that serves God by constantly receiving from God."
No comments:
Post a Comment