Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I wait.

For graduation I received the book "Passion and Purity" by Elizabeth Elliot (Thank you, Creer family). Ever since I pulled it out of the gift bag I have hardly been able to keep it shut. I don't know what it is about this book. I had a little argument with myself when i first started reading it. I was thinking, "Why do i feel such a strong desire to read this book? I'm not struggling to stay pure or even interested in a relationship right now." But soon, after i cracked it open and began to read, that argument was settled. I was hooked. And it's not that I love the love story. It's that I love the way this author is so plain, so real, about the aches she finds in her heart. She shares parts of her journal entries that are so honest and comforting. So close to what i write. Tonight I read this poem and was encouraged-

I wait.
Dear Lord, Thy ways
Are past finding out,
Thy love too high
O hold me still
Beneath Thy shadow
It is enough that Thou
Lift up thy light
Of they countenance.
I wait-
Because I am commanded
So to do. My mind
Is filled with wanderings
My soul asks, "why?"
But then the quiet word,
"Wait thou only
Upon God."
And so, not even for the light
To show a step ahead,
But for Thee, dear Lord,
I wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it must be a good book if Michelle posts about it. My mom found that book for you. It's timeless.